ABOUT OLD HICKORY LAKE
Old Hickory Lake is located in north central Tennessee. It is formed by the Old Hickory Lock and Dam located on the Cumberland River at mile 216.2 in Sumner, Wilson and Davidson Counties, which is approximately 25 miles upstream from Nashville. The city of Hendersonville is situated on the northern shoreline of the lake, and Old Hickory, a portion of Metropolitan Nashville-Davidson County, is located on the southern side of the lake, just upstream of the lock and dam. Mount Juliet and Lebanon make up the east and west shorelines. The lake extends 97.3 miles upstream to Cordell Hull Lock and Dam. The dam and lake are named after President Andrew Jackson (nicknamed “Old Hickory”), who lived in the vicinity, at The Hermitage.
The lock, dam, powerhouse and lake are operated and supervised by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers’ personnel under the direction of the District Engineer at Nashville. Construction started in January 1952, and dam closure was completed in June 1954.
The reservoir contains 22,500 acres at an elevation of 445 feet (above sea level). Water level fluctuations are minimal with minimum pool elevation at 442. Public facilities include marinas, campgrounds, and restaurants.